Vegan since 1975, I decide to answer the question, "What DO you eat?" These posts tell about some meals and recipes my family and I have enjoyed over the years.

Pages

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Desperation Soup

The other night we got home after eight at night and still had to unpack the car. I was hoping nobody was hungry, but it seemed like they were, so I went to the pantry and only found one can of Trader Joe's Black Bean soup, not nearly enough for five moderately hungry people. I did have some cans of black beans, though, so I figured I could stretch it.

To make DESPERATION SOUP, dump a can of black bean soup and a can of black beans and one can's worth of water in a small soup pot.

Add pinches of onion and garlic powder, 21 Seasoning Salute (or some other herb/spice complex seasoning mix), chili powder, nutritional yeast, tamari and any fresh chopped cilantro, if you have it (I didn't). I forgot the oregano, but you don't have to.

Let that cook a few minutes while you toast some whole grain bread.
I ate my bread with some avocado pieces sort of mushed on to it, and the avocado tasted good when it fell into the soup as I was dipping my bread into it. I wonder if you could just add chopped avocado to a black bean soup and serve it that way? I don't see why not.

Anyhow, all that took very little time, and made enough to take the edge off everyone's appetites.

So be sure to keep your pantry or cupboard stocked with a few canned soups and beans, which you should do anyhow, in case the power goes out, and always have some basic seasonings on hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment