Vegan since 1975, I decide to answer the question, "What DO you eat?" These posts tell about some meals and recipes my family and I have enjoyed over the years.

Pages

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Dandelion Greens, Baby Bok Choy, Linguine, and Sauteed Tofu Cubes with Tamari


They aren't growing around here, yet, but there were huge bunches of DANDELION GREENS at my co-op the other day. This very mild green is supposed to be good for your liver in the spring, but I couldn't wait. 
 
It's reassuring to know there is something edible right in your yard or a nearby vacant lot, if it comes to that, once it gets to be spring. Even when they are older they are still pretty good if you boil them twice and discard the water each time. Otherwise, when young, just steam them until they are limp and still bright green. 
 
I submerged the dandelion greens for about five minutes or so in the big pot of boiling water I used later to cook the linguine, and then I tossed them with a bit of lemon juice and olive oil and a touch of tamari. They aren't bitter when young, and I think the texture and taste is better than spinach.

BABY BOK CHOY is another tasty succulent green to try if you haven't. Cut off the very bottom and separate the white stalks so you can wash off any captive dirt. Chop them up into one-inch-or-so pieces and saute them in olive oil sprinkled with a bit of salt. Toward the end of cooking, add several sliced cloves of garlic and remove from the heat before they begin to brown. These are good just as they are.
 
I sauteed a cubed block of TOFU in olive oil with tamari and an 1/8 cup of nutritional yeast, and served the greens with the tofu and the cooked linguine, which I sprinkled with nutritional yeast and tamari.

I also dressed my linguine with some CREAMY MISO DRESSING I made the other day. I forget what I did, now, but if I remember to write it down the next time I make it, I will post the recipe. It involved miso, vinegar, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, water, and guar gum (a useful thickener so you don't have to add so much oil to thicken dressings) all blended together. 
 
That might be all it was, so you could try that with your own proportions until it tastes good to you. I had been buying a brand at my supermarket that the boys all liked, but they stopped carrying it (although I have requested its return), so I was trying to duplicate it. They say I haven't got it right, yet, so when I do, I'll let you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment