Vegan since 1975, I decide to answer the question, "What DO you eat?" These posts tell about some meals and recipes my family and I have enjoyed over the years.

Pages

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Eating from Our Garden

I haven't been posting much lately because we are just eating variations on the same things, it being summer and our having been eating from our garden. I thought it might be useful to see some of the daily pickings. 

There are the burgeoning garden greens, some for steaming, some for the salad. There are now summer squashes coming in and several kinds of string beans. We like these sauteed in olive oil and a sprinkle of salt, cooking until they are wilting and beginning to brown, and then adding some garlic at the end. 

We all love pasta with vegan pesto (see my recipe in the archives), so I usually make enough for lunch the next day. Tonight I quickly pickled some kidney beans I'd canned and served those too. I also made yet another batch of my creamy miso dressing (see recipe under condiments). Anyhow, I just thought I'd better post something so everyone knows we're all still eating even when I'm not writing about it.

Here is the basil for the pesto.



 The greens to be steamed.
The salad greens, including red and green lettuce, mustard, nasturtium leaves, chives, arugula, and sheep sorrel.
 Different varieties of mixed string beans.











 The zucchini all sliced up.






 

 

 

 

 

Everything getting ready to be served.

Last, the quickly pickled kidney beans. I rinsed them, and then just added a couple of tablespoons of red wine and balsamic vinegar, chopped garlic, and some seasoned salt.

No comments:

Post a Comment