Vegan since 1975, I decide to answer the question, "What DO you eat?" These posts tell about some meals and recipes my family and I have enjoyed over the years.

Pages

Saturday, June 20, 2020

Vegan Garlic Scape Pesto

Garlic scapes grow up from the center of hard-neck garlic plants in the spring. Break off the curling round stems with small protuberances on top when they are young and tender; otherwise, they turn into flowers and seeds. They have a mild garlic flavor and can be used raw like chives.

An old friend posted a garlic scape pesto recipe online. In the refrigerator I had a small bag of scapes I'd picked, so I quickly veganized it and made some. We've been eating it on Yeasty Cheeze Crackers and now we are about to eat some on pasta.

Theirs called for pine nuts; I had Brazil nuts, plus I added some seeds. Theirs spoke of parmesan; I used a combo of nutritional yeast flakes and light miso. Theirs named canola oil; I substituted olive oil. Other than that, it is just the same! 

Toast the nuts and seeds in a pan and add to everything else in a processor. Maybe you should cut up the scapes first; I didn't, so I ended up adding more oil and changing processors before it all came together.

Garlic Scape Pesto

Ingredients
1 cup chopped garlic scapes
1/3 cup toasted nuts and seeds (in this case, Brazil nuts and pumpkin, sunflower, and sesame seeds)
1/3 cup nutritional yeast flakes for cheesiness
1 Tablespoon sweet light miso for cheesiness
1/3 or slightly more cup olive oil
1/2 a lemon and/or lime
1/4 teaspoon salt

Method
Toast nuts and seeds and add to other ingredients in a processor. Add more oil if you need to. Stop it to push everything down to the blades a couple of times.

Serve on crackers or pasta or however you use basil pesto.

No comments:

Post a Comment